Who Is Responsible For Paying If I Have Been Injured Due To Potholes Or Poor Road Conditions?


Well, it depends as a number of factors could come into play, including where you live and what happened. Potholes and other poor road conditions can cause serious accidents, injury and damage to your vehicle. These accidents may be due to the condition of the road, the unsafe driving of other drivers, or due to an otherwise defective car part that was damaged because of poor road conditions (e.g., defective tires). Whom do you need to blame if you have been injured in such an accident? Read on to find out who will pay if you have been injured by an accident caused by potholes or poor road conditions as advised by car accident lawyers in Edgewood.

The Individual

If you were injured because of an accident caused by a pothole or poorly maintained roads, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. First, it’s important to determine who could potentially be held liable for your injuries. In many cases, local governments are responsible for taking care of their roads and may therefore need to pay damages if someone has been hurt because of unsafe conditions. This is where things can get tricky; there may be several parties that might share responsibility. A seasoned personal injury attorney in Edgewood can help claim your compensation.


It is not always possible to determine exactly who owns a particular section of road, because ownership may be shared by several different parties. Local councils are in charge of maintaining minor roads within their area (A-roads, B-roads and unclassified roads). Some maintenance may be done by utility companies such as gas, water and electricity companies when they carry out maintenance on their underground services. Hence, it’s advisable to seek the advice of a personal injury attorney to file a claim.


The company will be liable for employees being injured by defective infrastructure, and might be forced to pay their medical bills. Who will pay their medical bills (company, your health insurance provider, or a combination of both) depends on where they live. In most states in America, workers’ compensation covers medical bills related to work-related injuries.

Government Departments

The government can be held liable, but it will take more time and effort. Government agencies like public works, transportation departments and planning commissions might be at fault in your situation. Once you know who was in charge of maintaining and repairing roads at that particular location, you can file a claim against them. In such cases, you will need to prove their negligence caused your injuries.

We hope we’ve answered your question but please feel free to contact our personal injury law firm in Edgewood nm for more queries and legal aid for your case.

The author is a personal injury attorney in Edgewood who works in a reputed personal injury law firm. If you or a family member has been injured due to medical malpractice, the lawyers at the Lucero Law Office will guide you through the legal process and handle the details of your claim. Visit https://www.lucerolawoffice.com/ for more details.

Recent Articles

Stay Connected

Close Bitnami banner